Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Making the Punishment Fit the Crime


Last week, a kid gave me a phony doctor's note stating he'd been absent since September because of "leg broke." I showed it to a colleague of mine, who insisted I bring it to the dean. So I did.

They sent the note to the attendance teacher, who did quite a lot of footwork to find out where the kid lived, and his real phone number. She also finally managed to contact the parent, something I'd been quite unable to do. I was seriously impressed.

However, the mother failed to come to school. They're calling her again. If she does not show again, severe measures will be taken.

So, what do you do about a kid who cuts almost three months of school, whose mother can't be bothered discussing it?

In my school, apparently, you suspend the kid for a week. That's a little like sentencing a pedophile to a weekend at Neverland Ranch.
blog comments powered by Disqus