Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Gas Wars

Well, no one I know is winning, but I travel 20,000 miles a year all over creation so I'm looking for an edge. To that end, I just bought a new 2005 Toyota Prius. Because it's an 'o5, I got about 900 bucks off the sticker price. An '06 model, with the features I want, would have cost 1800 more at sticker price. Also, they didn't have any.

For purchasing a new Prius, even an 05, (according to my CPA) there's a $3,000 tax credit. Driving as much as I do, I expect to save $1,000 a year in gas if current prices hold, which we all know they will not.

Every Toyota dealer will tell you how lucky you are to see a Prius, and how no one else has them, but I've been to four, and they all had them. All but the one I bought from were asking sticker price for '05 models, which are identical to 06s except for a headlight modification.

If you're in the market for a great, cool car, it's a very good time to buy a Prius. Right now, they're about the same price as Camries. But the tax credit will fade and disappear soon after Toyota sells 60,000 hybrids, which Toyota estimates will occur around June.
blog comments powered by Disqus